Access from CHINA - share your experiences

Hi all,

I wanted to provide an update on this issue. Currently we are still doing work on our side to try and alleviate the connection issues out of China. Some users have pointed out that San Fransisco is now working. That would be due to some of the work we’ve been doing specific to that location, similar to what we did for Japan and South Korea.

We will continue to work on other locations and provide another update as soon as possible. Thank you all for your continued patience in this matter.

Nick
Golden Frog Support

Morning update - Beijing 10:40am
After network reset and switch from my internet provider’s DNS to OpenDNS

Tokyo (75ms 100%) 209.99.66.18
Seoul (75ms 100%) 209.99.66.20

San Francisco (350ms 99%) 209.99.95.150
Seattle (430ms 98%) 209.99.94.150

Hong Kong (400ms 45%) 203.170.29.30 <----------- 45%
Singapore {400ms 80%) 203.170.29.154

Impossible to establish a connexion with Cameleon. Back to PPTP (windows 7)
Same with the app on iOS, back to manual PPTP.

Ha, Great to see US-LA and server in UK is back to online from China, also US-Seattle.

Beijing, 28th January 2015, 10:30am

100% ping (during 10 mn):
Sydney
Melbourne
Auckland
Tokyo
Seoul

95-100% ping (during 10 mn):
Hong Kong
Singapore
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Seattle

At this time, I am connected to Sydney with Chameleon.(update: stable for 4 hours now)

This was posted up in a group chat for many foreigners. I’m not sure how true it is or if anyone with iOS are experiencing any problems. Thought I’d share it just in case.

Foreign VPN service blocked on iOS

VyprVPN servers access report from Beijing
Thursday 29th January 2015 - 10:00am

Ping for 10 minutes with MetaPing

100% answers:

• Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • Aukland
  • Tokyo
  • Seoul
  • San Francisco
  • Seattle

90-100% answers:

• Los Angeles

50% answers and extremely unstable:

• Hong Kong
  • Singapore

For the european servers:

• most of them at 100%
  • except Ireland and UK: 60% unstable

Actualy connected to Aukland with Chameleon

Not only iOS, of course… That idea comes from another VPN provider , speaking only about their iOS app. The problem is bigger.

I hope the network to Mexico can be fixed.

@JPS, you are correct in identifying that the issue is not limited to the L2TP/IPsec protocol, which is commonly used in iOS apps. We will continue working to bring more and more servers back online for users in China.

At this time, I believe connections to Seattle, the three Australian servers, and most all European servers should be possible, in addition to Hong Kong, S. Korea, Japan, Singapore, and San Francisco.

Thanks again for your updates, everyone! I know it is far from an ideal circumstance, and our users have been amazing in working with us this past week.

VyprVPN update from Beijing
30th January - 11:00am

Ping with MetaPing (10 minutes)

100%:

• Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • Auckland
  • Tokyo
  • Seoul

95-100%

• San Francisco
  • Seattle

80-90%

• Hong-Kong
  • Singapore
  • New York

European Servers: all answered 95-100%, include UK

NB: actualy using Japan server with Chameleon

NB 2: I am Charlie, Liberty and VPN

Hello everyone,

I wanted to direct attention to our latest blog posts, which have some more information on the issues in China.

and

We certainly appreciate all the feedback given on this forum thread and encourage you all to keep posting with any additional feedback or experiences you may have.

Nick
Golden Frog Support

I am in Shenzhen China. I believe that china is trying MITM tactics for China users. I received a notice for an update after I had completed the latest semt by vypr. This is now the preferred method of ip companies in China. Also tried for MSN and previously with Yahoo. It will only get worse. A directive from the relevant bureau has specified increased censorship.

@leechina Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and communicating with us in English.

1. What do you mean by “received a notice for an update”?

2. Can you please provide more detail about the “man in the middle” attacks that you think are occurring.

We have been working very hard over the past week to defeat the Chinese blocking.

Please read our blog for the latest updates:

VyprVPN Service Largely Restored for Customers in China

Golden Frog Website Updated to HTTPS to Defeat Chinese Blocking via Deep Packet Inspection

Thank you for your continued patience and support!

About the attack Man In The Middle, I would like to know if the following message from iOS could be the result of this kind of attack.

I received a lot of those messages at the end of the last year, and after. Less now (1 today).
I can stop receiving them if I turn off the Fetch New Data in Mail iOS (I have accounts Gmail, Hotmail and iCloud).
Ok, but I don’t understand why the mesage talk about “webdav.facebook.com”… (and only this one. Some people have this kind of message with another server under Safari).

So, MITM or not?

Yes, I got this on my iPad also. It just pops out several times each day, and you have to click the ‘close’ button several times so that you can turn it off. And finally I delete my Facebook account on the iPad, and it disappears.

Hello all

From my experiance is it difficult to connect on the evening here in Changzhou (Jiangsu), specialy around 6PM till 10PM.
The chinese People are back from work and overload the network totaly.
Even if you can get a connection the speed is extremly low!
After 10PM, morning or sometimes even on the day (Weekend) is it absolutly no problem.
So maybe your location has the same problem. If you cant connect, try it later (after 10Pm when the most Chinese are sleeping).
I got some feedbacks from Chinese and even they told me, the network is slow on the evening.
It dont must be a problem from the side of VyprVPN. Its absolutyl possible that “just” the network around you is overloadet.

Enjoy your VyprVPN!

VyprVPN update from Baoji (Shaanxi) <----- unusual location
3rd February - 9:00am

Ping with MetaPing (10 minutes)

99-100%:

• Hong-Kong
  • Singapore
  • Los Angeles
  • San Francisco
  • Seattle

95-99%

• Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • Auckland
  • Tokyo
  • Seoul
  • New York

European Servers: all answered 99-100%, include UK.

NB: actualy using Japan server with Chameleon

I can experience some internet speed problem in BJ too, with some differences.

If we consider the VyprVPN servers in Japan and South Korea have the best pings possible from China (around 70 ms), we have these values almost only in the morning. In the afternoon, evening and night before 2am, the ping values are more often near 150ms.

But I think it’s not a problem with the chinese internet inside the country. At the same time, very famous chinese websites continue to answer with ping lower than 20ms.

Perhaps it’s more a problem with the gateway to access internet outside China, as more people want to use it.

If we do a traceroute to a foreign website, we can see the ping value becomes high just before to leave China. Because of the GF?
Some foreign websites don’t go thru the GF, just like usa.gov, always with a very low ping.

A question to myself (and to staff perhaps): how is it possible to have a ping so low on Japan and South Korea?

VyprVPN servers - Ping report
Beijing - 5th February 2015 - 11:00am
MetaPing (10 minutes)

97-100%

• Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • Perth
  • Hong-Kong
  • Jakarta
  • Tokyo
  • Seoul
  • Kuala Lumpur