Advanced VPN/NON-VPN Router/OS Configuration

I’m a novice, so bear with me. I’m hoping someone can help me configure VyprVPN and change my router configuration to allow VPN connections, AND still be able to reach my http/https services at home from the internet.

Details:

Router: Asus RT-AC66U, Broadcom BCM5300 chip rev 1
Router Firmware: Tomato Shibby - 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-124 K26AC USB AIO-64K
Router VyprVPN Applet: v 0.6.0

I run a web server and Subsonic on my home computer, and I use DDNS so it can be accessed from the internet even if the IP changes. When I connect VyprVPN in the router configuration page, I obviously can’t connect to my home computer from the outside anymore.

I’ve never done this before, but I am guessing that I have to have to somehow create two separate networks and have my Windows PC use both at the same time? So, All of my outgoing connections are always encrypted through VyprVPN, but incoming connections to my web server are routed to a non-vpn segment on my network.

Any help on how to do this in Tomato/Windows would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Lotus Roots

@lotusroots:

That is a really great question. Please give me a little bit of time to investigate that and I’ll get back to you.

Thanks,
Katie

Bumping this…

Katie - How’d your investigation go?

It would be great if I could even get a general description of how this is done. I can do some research and report back.

• LR

@lotusroots,

You may be able to connect to your VyprVPN IP Address to reach those services. First you need to make sure that you turn off the “NAT Firewall” feature on your VyprVPN account through our web based control panel (https://www.goldenfrog.com/login). Then with the proper port forwarding in place, it might work automatically. (Note: We’ve not tested this to be the case.)

As for having those services be reachable on the NON-VPN link, you can achieve that by using the per device configuration to have the PC not on the VPN. The downside here is that all activity from the PC will use the unprotected Internet and not the VPN Internet.

If you are regularly accessing the services on your home PC from a single place (e.g. work) then you could (completely manually) add a static route to the router to route traffic for that network to go out your unprotected Internet instead of the VPN. (This should work on the basis that the VPN up doesn’t prevent inbound connections from coming to your regular Internet, but it forces all outbound traffic out the VPN.) Note: set your computer for VPN Preferred before trying this – if you get it to work, and you want it in the VPN Only configuration, switch it only after you see it working in the VPN Preferred mode.

These suggestions are off the top of my well versed networking head, but unfortunately we’ve not had time to sit and work out these particular scenarios. I am keenly interested in any questions, feedback, and/or observations you have in attempting this work.

Michael

Even I had some issues with my router and OS configuration and was not able to connect with the server so I contacted service provider Email to fax service Alexandria, VA and they helped me in fixing the problem.