Cant connect on android phones

Hi, there.

I cant connect to any vpn server with my android phone in my university.

Our University has a slightly draconian policy for use of the internet on campus. All traffic must go through an HTTP proxy; basically everything besides port 80 (for regular HTTP) and port 443 (for HTTPS) is blocked.

Hence the desktop software works on my computers because the desktop software have the OpenVPN-160bit protocol which uses HTTP. ALL OTHER protocols cant connect!
BUT THE OpenVPN-160bit protocol is not available to choose on android phones.

HENCE, is there any solution for me?
Besides improving the android app(which I guess takes a long time), Do you know if there is any techniques like port forwarding for me to use immediately on my device?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hello @leading,

I am sorry to read that you are not able to connect to the VPN with our Android app. As you noted, we currently do not offer the OpenVPN 160 protocol in our Android app. We would be glad to assist you in troubleshooting the connection issues you are having with the other protocols. Note that our Chameleon protocol uses UDP port 443. However, if you are correct that your campus network is blocking all traffic except traffic on HTTP and HTTPS, which are TCP ports 80 and 443, then we may not be able to get you connected to the VPN on the Android device, as only OpenVPN160 protocol uses either of these ports.

We have started development to add support for user-selected ports in our applications, which will allow the user to select UDP or TCP ports, including TCP port 443.

If you are interested in troubleshooting, simply reply to your support ticket (469724) with the requested information in that email and we would be glad to further assist you.

Samuel
Golden Frog Support