Chameleon Always Down

This is my second time around using Vyper and while the service is adequate for me I find that it still suffers from some of the same issues I had a couple of years ago when I first used it. While those issues are annoying I can generally work with them but what is frustrating is that the app can’t connect to chameleon at least once every day. And it will stay down for hours before I can connect again.

When its down I will use IKEv2 and while I like it(because its more reliable) it doesn’t allow me to use custom DNS servers which is a must for me.

I’m using Vyper on my mac running High Sierra 10.13.6 from Taiwan and I want to connect to the server in Los Angeles with Chameleon using vyper version 3.3.0.7962 but it’s almost never available.

Is there something wrong with the protocol that I’m not informed about or is the server having issues?

Welcome @jdouglass

Thanks for joining us on the forums, I am saddened to read that you are having issues connecting to the VyprNetwork, particularly when attempting to use the Chameleon protocol.

At this time users in and near the region of China are reporting sparse outages and our teams are working diligently to resolve the issue!

I see you are able to connect to IKEv2 and am hopeful you are not affected by this and recommend that you attempt to select a manual port from the Chameleon protocol settings between 16500 & 17000.

Can’t you just use OpenVPN? I’m pretty sure Taiwan doesn’t have nationwide VPN blocks.

This is an excellent recommendation, while Taiwan traditionally does not experience this issue, we have had isolated reports from our users within in region experiencing such a block. Please attempt the troubleshooting step @Zirconium has suggested and let us know the results! :slight_smile:

I can only assume Chameleon isn’t being blocked given its hit and miss nature here. But shouldn’t I expect that all of the available protocols should be accessible given that I’ve paid for the service?

No matter, I will use openvpn for now and see how it goes. Thanks anyway.

The Premium plan has all the protocols, IKEv2, Chameleon, and OpenVPN-256. The normal plan does not have chameleon. OpenVPN-160 and L2TP are not in the newer versions of the app, but i assume you can use them if you go back to earlier versions.

I guess that’s my point. I do have the premium plan but so far only openvpn has been reliable for me. So am I paying for a premium service using a protocol in openvpn that is available otherwise in a cheaper plan?

Hey @jdouglass I would definitively send your logs to our support team so we may have a better grasp on the issue you are encountering. When you have the time, please reach out Support Request

Maybe you should switch to the cheaper plan. The other downside is only three simultaneous connections, instead of five.

It was the same for me, I just went back to the cheapest plan…