I can offer some insight as to the VyprVPN Service running in the background and causing a small amount of CPU usage, which is normal. The following features/functions require the service be running.
- The Kill Switch feature, which terminates network activity in the case that the VPN is not connected.
- The “Automatically connect VyprVPN when using untrusted wi-fi” feature, which, with the feature enabled, will check for changes in Wi-fi so that the VPN will know to connect on unknown Wi-fi.
- The “Connect VyprVPN when Windows starts up”, “Launch VyprVPN on Windows login”, and “Connect VyprVPN on application launch” features.
- Checking for application updates, which occurs once every 24 hours.
- The “Automatically send us non-personally identifiable app data” feature, which helps improve application stability in future releases, and is only relative to the use of the application itself.
- The application will check (phone home) for a connection regularly to correct any app state issues.
- Additionally, having the VyprVPN Service run in the background makes loading the application considerably faster.
If you do not wish for the VyprVPNservice to always be running, you may stop the service, when not using VyprVPN. However, if you do this, you will need to remember to start the service before you use VyprVPN or you will experience the “Service cannot be contacted” error message. And if you do not wish for the service to start automatically when you startup your computer, you will need to set the Startup Type for the VyprVPNservice to Manual. Again, you will need to remember to start the service before you use begin using VyprVPN to avoid experiencing the “Service cannot be contacted” error message.
I hope that helps!