DNS Leak Test

I used https://www.dnsleaktest.com to check VyprVPN today and the website tool told me I have two ISPs having access to my browsing data. This is the message I received regarding the ISPs that are showing up:

What do the results of this test mean?

The servers identified above receive a request to resolve a domain name (e.g. www.eff.org) to an IP address everytime you enter a website address in your browser.
The owners of the servers above have the ability to associate your personal IP address with the names of all the sites you connect to and store this data indefinitely. This does not mean that they do log or store it indefinitely but they may and you need to trust whatever their policy says.
If you are connected to a VPN service and ANY of the servers listed above are not provided by the VPN service then you have a DNS leak and are choosing to trust the owners of the above servers with your private data.

Hey @vypruser,

We setup VyprDNS in such a way that prevents our customer’s DNS queries from being associated with their activity on VyprVPN. Doing this prevents organizations that restrict DNS from putting blocks in place for our users. This is done using a DNS relay system. Sites like dnsleaktest.com will see the last server in the DNS relay chain, which typically does not identify itself with Golden Frog services. This is good because customer DNS is not identified as coming from VyprVPN, which is the intended goal.

The hostnames associated with those last server DNS IPs are not typically within our control, so we normally cannot change them. That’s why you are seeing IPs associated with www.eff.org, etc… However, if you ping www.eff.org you will notice a completely different IP resolve. That’s actual server IP, not the one on dnsleaktest.com. This discrepancy is the unfortunate result of improper reverse DNS information outside of our control.

DNS leak test sites make the faulty assumption that the DNS server to which the end-user makes the request is the actual DNS server from which the leak test will see the request, which is not how it works with VyprDNS, specifically because we don’t want leak test servers seeing the request come from VyprVPN.

We go to great lengths to ensure all data sent over our network stays between Golden Frog and the customer. Our specific configuration of VyprDNS is just one of the ways we protect your data.

I hope I was able to shed some light on your concerns. I definitely understand where you’re coming from in wanting to know more about the results you are seeing.

Regards,
Wes
Support Team

Hi Wes,
I have configured VyprVPN using OpenVPN on my router (ASUSWRT-Merlin). That means that I do not use any VyprVPN App. But according to the ipleak.net webpage, I get the same result as lux4life in VyprDNS - owned and operated, or sub-leased?
I thought that VyprDNS is only available while using Goldenfrog Apps.
I see a private 10.65.XX.XX address in local dnsmasq resolv.conf configuration as a DNS server.
Do I use VyprDNS and are my DNS requests using VPN tunnel ?

I don’t understand how can you test dns leak in the terminal environment using some web page. I use command line like this https://github.com/macvk/dnsleaktest

Hello

For better assistance with this issue please contact us via Livechat or e-mail at Support@goldenfrog.com.

Regards

Why do you just believe on single tool. Might be it is tool error. So you need to try different tools such as
http://dnsleak.com

https://www.astrill.com/en/vpn-leak-test
I think this time you will be get better results

Vyprvpn has a windows service, but it always works badly. When your network changes, such as changing local DNS or using other VPN, vyprvpn will leak DNS. So if you change the network, please restart the vyprvpn service before use it.

Hello @freman,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had trouble with this and we’re happy to help you out further in resolving this.

Could you tell us a little more detail about the trouble you’re experiencing with VyprVPN so that we can try to reproduce this issue?

First, are you using our latest version of VyprVPN on your Windows machine?

If you haven’t installed the latest 3.0 version of VyprVPN you can get this at this URL:
https://downloads-goldenfrog.netdna-ssl.com/downloads/vyprvpn/desktop/windows/production/3.0.0.9646/VyprVPN-3.0.0.9646-installer.exe

Next could you clarify with “changing local DNS” do you mean adjusting the DNS settings on the network adapter for your connection or changing the DNS settings within the VyprVPN application?

After this, could you provide us a screenshot of any sort of DNS leak test site you might be using to determine if VyprVPN is leaking DNS or not.

Finally can I have you submit your VyprVPN application logs using these instructions and make reference that you were speaking with us on the forums?

1. Tap/click the Menu (Three Horizontal Lines) icon in the upper left corner.
2. Tap/click Support
3. Tap/click Contact Support
4. Type a description of the issue you are experiencing
5. Make sure the Include connection log box is checked
6. Tap/click Send to Support

We look forward to your update with this information so that we can help out with resolving this trouble and if you have any other questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to let us know.