Does VyprVPN Router App support AP only configuration?

I have a Asus RT-N18U. I have loaded the lasted version of Tomato by Shibby (Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 -138 K26ARM USB VPN-64K or AIO-64K). I have setup the router to act as an Access Point (AP) only. This means I have turned off DHCP and connected it to my existing network via an ethernet port (not the WAN). As an AP it works great and I have access to my full network as well as the internet.

However the VyprVPN Router app doesn’t seem to like this configuration. I have loaded the latest version (0.8.0) and using the same configuration as above and everything appears to work. The app installs and it even says it connects but it does not get an VPN IP address (so not really connected).

according to this post VyprVPN Router as Access Point this is a dns issue. I have reflashed the router to stock tomato then installed the app again using this setup and still the app does not connect. I don’t know how to modify the /etc/resolv.dnsmasq but if this is about some sort of dns corruption is there a recommended order to installation/setup to get the best results? I would really like to get access to my existing network using this app.

1 Like

Hello,

This type of setup isn’t common, so we haven’t tested it very extensively, but I can tell you if you aren’t getting an IP address in the app, it’s usually due to an inability to hit the API. You are seeing 0.0.0.0 as the IP in the app, correct?

You should be able to edit the dnsmasq config via Tomato’s GUI at “Advanced -> DHCP/DNS -> Dnsmasq custom configuration” and add the following lines:

server=8.8.8.8
server=8.8.4.4
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Let us know if that helps.

Also, have you already tried all protocol options available?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. You are correct that I’m getting an IP address of all 0’s. The internet works like it is not connected to a VPN. I was using the Chameleon protocol so as suggested I tried the other protocols. OpenVPN-256/160 and PPTP also get 0:0:0:0.

I tried the Dnsmasq steps as suggested using the 3ird party DNS but it actually made it so it couldn’t even contact the goldenfrog servers to load the app/skin config file. I had to remove the Dnsmasq and reload the app. I’ve played around with setting the static dns using google, my gateway address or the actual isp dns and all work in terms of accessing the internet but vypr gets a bunch of 0s.

It’s a little disappointing because I don’t want to have to change networks just so I can print a file then change back again to get secure internet. I know there is an option to reconfigure my network to use the Tomato as the main unit but it wasn’t something I wanted to do. My ISP gives me a Wifi Router/Gateway which I don’t have access to so what ends up happening is I’ll be using nested routers which is a setup I was trying to avoid and is the reason why I wanted an AP without using it’s own NAT/DHCP.

I know this tomato app has limited support but do you have any other suggestions to play around with?

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for your patience. While we did research this issue, we are unable to come up with a solution.

Do you know if your main router uses PPPoE?

That is the only other known issue we could consider. The VyprVPN applet has issues allocating an IP address if your ISP uses a PPPoE connection and authenticates with a username/ password on your main router. Beyond that, we would not have a resolution for you.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

Regards,
Wes
Customer Support

1 Like

My ISP does use ppope. If I used the tomato as a NAT router with DHCP and not exclusively an AP it works fine and Vypr works fine as well using any protocols. What doesn’t work is I don’t have access to my network. But if I use the tomato exclusively as an AP (DHCP and WAN port turned off) the Internet works fine Vypr just doesn’t like it.

I’ve noticed in this exclusive AP mode in “Per Device VPN” under “Connected Devices” the gateway is listed (as well as connected clients). This is not the case using it as a NAT router. I’m not sure if this is an issue but it doesn’t seem like it should try and apply Vpn on the gateway. It doesn’t seem to matter if I turn it off for the gateway, I still cant connect to the vpn.

Are their unique pppoe setups (btw I don’t have access to my pppoe user/pass)

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. The issue you are seeing when using the downstream router as an AP sounds correct, since you are using the main router’s DHCP server and PPPoE connection. The gateway showing in the “Connected Devices” also seems to be correct if you have your main router connected to any of the LAN ports on your downstream router.

While we would like to resolve this issue for you, we do not have any further solutions to provide. We also do not have any PPPoE specific setups for the router applet, but are working on solutions for PPPoE in the future.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may be caused you. Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Regards,
Wes
Customer Support

1 Like

thanks for your reply. I appreciate being informed of the issue and that a solution is still being worked out. I will check for updates and perhaps just be content with a limited setup or play with other options likes DD-WRT, thanks for your help

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.