IKEV2 Protocol

Hi , when ikev2 for ios will be release ? It so usefull .

Hello @mehran,

We do have IKEv2 in the works for our iOS platforms. However, I do not have an ETA at this time. Feel free to submit or vote for an idea to get updates: Golden Frog Ideas

This will allow other people to vote on your suggestion as well!

Regards,
Wes
Support Team

I too am interested in IKEv2 for iOS (since OpenDNS is not yet supported without a third-party app), but wonder which is better for security on iOS, L2TP or IKEv2?

Is IKEv2 considered better security over L2TP, or are they the same?

Hello @ryboflavo,

Internet Key Exchange (version 2) is an IPSec based tunneling protocol that was jointly developed by Microsoft and Cisco, and which is baked into Windows 7+. Technically speaking it (and the older IKE) is not a VPN protocol at all, but is a control protocol for IPSec key exchange.

IKEv2 is particularly good at automatically re-establishing a VPN connection when users temporarily lose their internet connections (such as when entering or leaving a train tunnel). Mobile users in particular, therefore, benefit the most from using IKEv2, which because of its support for the Mobility and Multihoming (MOBIKE) protocol, also makes it highly resilient to changing networks.

This is great news for cell phone users who, for example, connect their smart phones to a WiFi network while at home but switch to mobile data use when out and about, or who regularly switch between hotspots.

It is not as ubiquitous as IPSec (i.e. it is supported on much fewer platforms), but IKEv2 is considered at least as good as, if not superior to, L2TP/IPsec in terms of security, performance (speed), and stability.

Regards,
Wes
Support Team

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and explanation, Wes. Are there any updates for its launch on iOS and Mac devices?

Hello @ryboflavo,

Thanks for your interest. We do not currently have any updates on IKEv2 at this time.

We will be happy to update you when information becomes available.

Regards,
Wes
Support Team

Just checking for updates. Anything new to report regarding IKEv2?

Hello @ryboflavo,

Thank you for checking in with us!

At this time we do not have any additional updates provide regarding IKEv2 support for iOS.

Once we have more information to provide, we will be sure to update this post with further details.

Regards,
Jordan
Support Team

Awesome, thanks Jordan.

1 Like

Hello,

I have been using the vyprvpn app on an up to date iPod touch. I noticed that in the vyprvpn connection log, the protocol still says iPSec and not IKEv2. However, in the settings app there is a vyprvpn certificate (generated automatically by the vpn app) which says “type: IKEv2”. So which one is used for vpn connections? IPSec or IKEv2? Or is IKEv2 just a subtype of IPSec and that’s why it’s not shown in the vyprvpn connection log? Thanks.

@Z_Fuki

If you’re running VyprVPN 2.17+, then it’s using the IKEv2 protocol. It’s actually a known defect we will be fixing soon where the connection log still shows IPsec. Apologies for the confusion!

Nick
Golden Frog Support