New VyprVPN Router App Version 0.7.0 - Production Release

We’re excited to announce the VyprVPN Router App has gone into Production with the release of Version 0.7.0!

You can see the highlighted features and scope of the VyprVPN Router App here:

For full setup instructions, please visit the Golden Frog Help Center page for the VyprVPN Router App:

https://support.goldenfrog.com/hc/en-us/articles/204103006-VyprVPN-Router-App

Technical Requirements:

• Your MIPS or ARM router must support Tomato by Shibby. Supported routers located here: http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69 The VyprVPN Router App currently runs on the K26RT-N or K26RT-AC versions of the Shibby compilation of Tomato firmware for MIPS, and K26ARM for ARM. Please note that routers running other versions of the Tomato firmware, such as K24 or K26, are not supported.
  • Verify that you have the correct build of Tomato by Shibby. Correct build located here: http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=164 Tip: You must select either the VPN build or the AIO build. The AIO (All-In-One) builds include everything Tomato has to offer. The VPN builds include fewer services–to conserve space. You typically choose the largest firmware that will fit on your router.
  • Also, please note, that we have tested the VyprVPN Router App on a clean install of Tomato firmware (meaning that we have cleared nvram during the installation process.) Customers that have set-up a custom configuration of Tomato may experience problems when the settings of their nvram conflict with the nvram settings that the VyprVPN Router App uses. This includes configuring Tomato to work over PPPoE. This is currently not supported by the VyprVPN Router App. This is a feature that we would like to add in the near future however.
  • If you are using the VyprVPN Router App, you should not configure your VPN through the VPN Tunneling page in the Tomato UI. You should only configure your VPN through the VyprVPN pages. If you set, or have set previously, any options on the VPN Tunneling page, you will need to clear your nvram before proceeding with the installation of the VyprVPN Router App. This is because configuring the VPN through the VPN Tunneling page will store settings in nvram that may conflict with the settings needed by the VyprVPN Router App.

VyprVPN Router App Features Summary:

• ARM and MIPS support for Tomato by Shibby.
  • Supported Protocols - Chameleon™ - 256-bit Encryption; OpenVPN - 256-bit Encryption; OpenVPN - 160-bit Encryption; PPTP - 128-bit Encryption
  • Connect to any server in Golden Frog’s network of worldwide servers.
  • “Per-Device VPN” - For each device on your network, choose whether the device is “VPN Required”, “VPN Preferred” or “Bypass VPN”
  • Automatic reconnect and ability to set reconnection attempts.
  • In-app updating after initial install and in-app change log.
  • In-app support and opt-in connection logs.

VyprVPN Router App Version 0.7.0 - Production Release Change Log

• New: Updated VyprVPN installation script to increase download speed
  • New: Updated installation messaging and survey questions
  • Fix: Added https support for Golden Frog webpages
  • Fix: Resolved buffer overflow issue in nvram which limited the number of devices that could connect to VyprVPN Router

VyprVPN Router App Version 0.6.0 - Public Beta Change log

• New: Added “watchdog” to restart VyprVPN process if it stops.
  • New: Re-designed change log.
  • New: Added timeout to improve process handling.
  • New: Improved validation messaging for the login and support form.
  • New: Added details to the connecting state dropdown.
  • Fix: Failing PPTP connections are now resolved.
  • Fix: Communication between UI and backend when WAN is disconnected.
  • Fix: Correctly syncs connection details when using multiple browsers.

VyprVPN Router App Version 0.5.0 - Final Alpha Change Log

• ARM support! You can now flash Tomato to your ARM router and install VyprVPN Router App
  • Re-branded as VyprVPN Router App
  • Add VyprVPN output to syslog
  • Added ability to connect via the header
  • Newly redesigned and restyled user interface
  • New header and navigation styling
  • Redesigned Per-Device VPN page
  • Added “Improve VyprVPN” section
  • Add link to Golden Frog forum in the header
  • Several bug fixes and performance enhancements

This topic is now unlisted. It will no longer be displayed in any topic lists. The only way to access this topic is via direct link.

This topic is now listed. It will be displayed in topic lists.

Excellent work! I have removed the 6.0 and upgraded to the 7.0 Production Release. went smoothly and only takes a few minutes.

I had tried the lasted K26RT-AC 128 EN firmware on Asus RT-AC66U, AIO version. i get error when installing the latest App. Ver 0.7

I went back to 124 EN AIO, and installed the App Ver 0.7, without problems. I don’t know what been broken in the latest version of shibby Firmware.

Hi @vigermam!

Do you recall what error you saw, verbatim? That would help us track down any possible issues with that Shibby build and the Router App.

Nick
Golden Frog Support

hi @nick that just give me a simple error message, as ‘Installing VyprVPN Router App… installation failed’.

I had tried the web command line and both ssh, telnet on EN 128.

when i switched to EN 124, i simply did that in the SSH port.
I will try again tomorrow to see if i missed something in En 128, I will NVRAM rest, and try SSH install the 0.7 on EN 128 again, and post result here.

hi
please add direct SSID or separate SSID for vpn
(to access the internet directly)
i’ve tried to add virtual wireless and routing table but no success after vpn gets connected, there is no internet connection on virtual wireless

Thank you for the suggestion, @Saied!

That’s a great idea. One we will take into consideration for future releases of the Router App.

Nick
Golden Frog Support

Just a short question: If I want to update to the latest Router App version, what should I do? Is there a special command for it? Or does the app do the update by itself?

Hello @simpty!

To check for updates, go to the VyprVPN section of Tomato and then click Settings. There is a button labelled “Check for Updates” you can click anytime to run a manual check. However, the app looks for updates automatically once a day.

Nick
Golden Frog Support

I just wanted to let people know that I running the VyprVPN Router App on a Asus RT-N16 with Tomato package tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-131-AIO.zip - just an FYI

1 Like

Hii, I have been using the Router App for a while now - the Auto Reconnect Feature does not seem to really work for me…any idea?

@dieskim

Please contact our 24/7 support team via email or live chat so we can investigate. To speed up the process, it may help if you can provide us with the following details initially:

Are you experiencing this after rebooting the router? Or is the router staying on, and simply closing the connection at which point you cannot reconnect?

Are you running version 0.7 or 0.6?

https://www.goldenfrog.com/support/

Ok I will talk to chat - but just for the record

• router running 0.7
  • auto-reconnect is enabled
  • when the connection is dropped it does not reconnect automatically

Also after reboot it does not automatically connect but thats another problem

Hi,
for connect at boot, see my solution:

Hey guys, Here is a little VyprVPN Connection WATCHDOG script I created to Auto Connect on Startup and Reconnect and check the Connection every 90 Seconds - and then Reconnect if needed

Just wanted to say that I managed to connect to vyprvpn via pppoe. :smiley:

Using Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 -132 K26ARM USB AIO-64K

I installed the tar via ssh and then ran the script. Not all of the servers work though.
BTW: Vypr got seriously slow, can’t even watch Youtube on 720p anymore.