P2P Privacy

Since the nature of P2P sharing requires a local IP, how private is P2P connection?

Hello @kaylix,

When you are connected to the VPN, your real IP is masked by that of one assigned to you by the VPN server you are connected to and all your traffic is encrypted and routed over the VPN. Because your real IP is masked by an IP assigned to you by the VPN server, anyone or any program that looks-up your IP address will only see the masked IP address, the one assigned to you by the VPN server. When connected to the VPN no person or program is able to see your real IP address, protecting you. In addition to this, your traffic is encrypted, meaning that no person or entity can determine the contents of your traffic.

Regards,
Samuel

Your answer matches my understanding of how the system works. However, why would I get a DMCA compliance notice of violation? If my information is anonymous and not tracked?
I signed the compliance form even though I don’t believe I was at fault. But, I did start the process of thinking about true anonymity with VyprVPN.
Thanks!

Hello,

Here’s one of our blog posts you may find interesting that cover what it means to be anonymous on the internet and dis-spells some myths regarding that.

Allow me to provide some clarification on your account status and our DMCA policy in general. I have included a link below that is accessible where our website is normally blocked that you can use to unlock your account.

Most DMCA requests we receive are due to file sharing activities performed while connected to VyprVPN. We receive them from outside sources, such as copyright agents working for copyright holders. When you connect to VyprVPN, you are issued an IP address that belongs to us. If the agency looking for that traffic sees the IP file sharing or otherwise infringing works subject to copyright law, they forward a DMCA notice to the IP owner, which is us. We then proceed to do the following:

1. Verify the validity of the notice.
  2. Locate the correct Golden Frog account using internal logs, along with the timestamps and VyprVPN IP listed in the notice.
  3. Lock the offending Golden Frog account.
  4. Send an email to the customer that includes the original notice attached, along with an explanation of the account status and information on how to unlock the account via digital signature affirmation.

The affirmation required to unlock the account is not an admission of guilt, nor is it a legal document of any kind. It is simply an agreement that no further activity of this nature will take place on your account. The account holder is solely responsible for all activities that take place on the account at all times. Repeat offenders are subject to account suspension or termination, as outlined in our Terms of Service.

We do not share your information with any copyright agents or other third-parties during this process. The only information that party has is an IP address that belongs to us. It is important to note that any legal verbiage listed in the notice you receive attached to our email is intended for Golden Frog only, and not the customer.

https://www.goldenfrog.com/legal

Hi Carloz, Can I ask a clarification question primarily from the point of privacy…

I fully appreciate Terms of service and non infringement of copyright etc as well as obviously not conducting other illegal activities. Fair enough,

But from a privacy point of view you don’t log websites but do log is connection times and ends, and retain for one month. correct?

Being a moderate techno illiterate does this mean if a Vypr user commits a copyright infringement or an illegal activity, and you receive a complaint from the relevant authority or law enforcement agency, then you simply match the isp address sent to you by the claimant agency against your logs of which Vypr user was issued that ip connection at that time. And forward the DCMA on or advise the relevant authority? But you have no indication of the content of sites visited?

If so, that is a more than reasonable position and reflects your privacy but not anonymity policy. But if you actually also have access to website accessed or emails sent, then Vyprvpn users are basically being asked by Goldenfrog to “trust us with your data” which tends to run against the whole net neutrality concept, as someone is always able to monitor your information.

I am sure this is not the case given your stated policy but just seeking to clarify. More and more governments are doing meta data collection in the name of security, which is okay when you have a strong democracy and checks and balances of power, but when in countries where they are nominal democracies, as some Asian countries are, then it’s a quick slide to the government being able to pressure VPN services to hand over all your meta data to be used against you in any way.

Would appreciate your clarifying if my understanding is right.

Thamks

Hi @Siapatahu.

Your understanding is mostly correct. I assume you meant “IP address” and not “ISP address,” since the IP address any outside entity would see is the VyprVPN assigned IP if you were connected to our service. I do want to clarify on the last bit about advising the “relevant authority.” We receive the notice, find the offending account, lock it, and forward the notice on to the customer. We don’t communicate with the copyright agency at any point in the process. None of your information is divulged to any third-party.

We cannot see what you do online, period. That is your prerogative. To log or be able to see that kind of information would go against our vision of a free and open internet.

If you have further detailed questions about our policies, please feel free to write into support@goldenfrog.com and reference this forum post.

Regards,
Nick
Golden Frog Support