Portable router for travelling with VyprVPN for router - hotels etc

Hi,

I am looking for a router that is compatible with VyprVPN that I can take with me when travelling. I am also wondering if it is possible to setup as a bridge - i.e. connect to a hotel WiFi treating it as a WAN, initiate the VPN and present a private network to my devices that also connect via WiFi. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Hey @ricash,

While we cannot recommend any specific routers, the hardware requirements for using VyprVPN on a router are available here, and the Tomato by Shibby site can help you narrow down the router which will be right for your specific needs.

Cheers,

Katherine
Support Team

Thanks Katherine.

Are you able to confirm if VyprVPN for Router allows for WISP mode? I.e. connect wirelessly to WAN and have a wireless LAN at the same time?

Hey @ricash,

After reviewing the details I think that you can probably set up WISP without an issue. Any device that is connected to the router will also connect to the VPN by default unless you specify otherwise in the app. Now, we cannot guarantee WISP mode will function properly for every router, but you’re absolutely welcome to try.

Please let us know if we can answer any other questions.

Cheers,

Katherine
Support Team

@ricash,

I wanted to mention another possible option for you, Anonabox. We recently partnered with them and VyprVPN is built into their Tunneler and Pro routers. You can see more info here: https://www.anonabox.com/partners/vyprvpn

While I am not certain it’ll work with the configuration you have described, if the router looks like it might fit your needs, you can contact Anonabox for specific questions about router configuration.

Nick
Golden Frog Support

Does those anonaboxes work with VyprVpn Server?

Hello @bobsmo,

At this time utilizing both our VyprVPN Server paired with Anonabox is not something that can be supported.

For a list of currently supported platforms please see our VyprVPN Server page below:

Regards,
Dustin
Golden Frog Support level II