Split Tunneling, IPsec IKEv2, strongSwan, outdated VyprVPN cli tool

Hello,

I have a situation where I need to split tunnel VPN and maybe use a CLI tool on my Debian 10 server. I need to split tunnel because I remotely access the server using VNC and SSH. I see that one of the VyprVPN pages for linux refers to installing a CLI for Ubuntu 16.04. That’s quite old and might cause a problem on my Debian 10 server. Ubuntu is now on 20.04.2 for it’s LTS release. Since it wouldn’t be good to use that CLI tool, would it be possible to use strongSwan with VyprVPN L2TP/IPsec IKEv2? If I were able to would it be possible to split tunnel?

https://strongswan.org/

The reason I ask about strongSwan is because the CLI tool supplied by GoldenFrog is for Ubuntu, very outdated, and would likely not be good for Debian 10 or 11. Not only that, but for my specific GNU/Linux distribution, adding a non-standard Debian repository (Ubuntu repository) and installing packages from an Ubuntu repository could break my system. Pretty likely given that the CLI tool supplied by GoldenFrog is so old.

Edit: Would it be possible to utilize L2TP that was talked about in this thread?

And utilize this L2TP into strongSwan with VyprVPN? In that thread it indicates a pre-shared key is needed (PSK). How would I get that?

Hello!

Our recommendation for Linux is our OpenVPN configuration for Ubuntu, which has been tested and is working on Ubuntu 20.04 - https://support.vyprvpn.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037721812-VyprVPN-OpenVPN-Setup-for-Linux-Ubuntu-

We haven’t tested the method in the linked forum thread, but you’re welcome to try it. The PSK would be “thisisourkey”.

We’re working to update our Linux CLI, but it will still be geared towards Ubuntu, and it’s unlikely that it will include split tunneling capability.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I’ve read that the Ubunut CLI should work okay in Debian based distributions though there’s always the chance that it could break. The general rule I’ve been told for Debian is to never add any packages from outside of the Debian repositories. So I hope the VyprVPN CLI for Ubuntu will work.