Unstable connection after Windows 10 update

Hi all,

First of all, I’m based in China.
I’ve upgraded my computer to WIndows 10 recently and after that my VYPRVPN will work only for about 5 minutes. After that my connection stays up (no disconnect) but the DNS_Probe on Chrome (and Edge) can´t find connection. It doesn´t matter the server or latency, it happens on every server. My girlfriend is experience the same problem.

Hope you can solve my problem

Thank you
Best Regards,

Hello @Oxidious,

I am sorry to read that you are experiencing this issue. Please verify that you are running the latest version of the VyprVPN app (2.7.6.5964) as it is the only version of the VyprVPN app that supports the Windows 10 Operating System. You may find out which version you are running in the About section of the Settings menu within the app. If you are not running the latest version of the app,

1. Access the Windows control panel.
  2. Go to “Programs and Features.”
  3. Find VyprVPN on the programs list and click once to highlight it.
  4. Click “Uninstall” towards the top of the list.
  5. Go through the uninstall process and make sure to check the box
    for removing “VyprVPN User Settings” prior to clicking the Uninstall
    button. <- THIS STEP IS IMPERATIVE FOR THE FIX. Please ensure it’s
    done.
  6. Reboot your machine when the uninstall process is complete.

After that please download a copy of the latest installer here:

http://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/windows-download

Please ensure to run the installer as an Administrator by
right-clicking the .EXE file downloaded and select “Run As
Administrator”.

Should you still experience the same issue with the latest version of the VyprVPN app, please provide the following information so that we may further assist you.

1. What protocol are you connecting to the VPN with (PPTP, OL2TP, OpenVPN, Chameleon)?
  2. Which VPN server are you connecting to?
  3. Do you experience the same issue when connecting to other VPN servers?
  4. Do you experience the same issue when connecting to the VPN with a different protocol?
  5. Are you using VyprDNS or a 3rd Party DNS?
  6. If you are using VyprDNS, please use a 3rd Party DNS (GoogleDNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) instead and see if you continue to experience the same issue.

Regards,
Samuel
Golden Frog Support

HI Samuel,

First of all, thank you for your quick reply.
I believe that the fresh install, solved the issue (I’ve done it before but completely forgot to reboot after unistall, my bad! :blush:)

Thank you very much!

Cheers!

Unfortunately didn´t work. It works exactly for 4:00 min. and then Chrome result in no_internet or in case of using 3rd party DNS it results in DNS_BAD_CONFIG (new EDGE browser just “cant reach url”)

Your questions:

1. OpenVPN and Chameleon
  2. Tried all US / Portugal / Australia all
  3. Happens in everyone
  4. Always happens
  5. Used both, no sucess
  6. No sucess

Cheers!

Hello @Oxidious,

I am sorry to read that you continue to experience this issue with our VyprVPN service. At this time, I would like to have you attempt the following troubleshooting steps when the issue occurs.

1. Flush your DNS by typing the below command in a Command Prompt window and pressing Enter.
    ipconfig /flushdns
  2. If you should still experience the issue after flushing the DNS, please attempt to reach a website by its IP address instead of its website address. For example, 23.235.44.73 instead of www.cnn.com
  3. If you are still experience the issue, please perform a ping test and traceroute, while experiencing the issue, to CNN’s website using both the website address and IP address. In a Command Prompt window, enter the below command and press Enter.
    ping -n 25 www.cnn.com
    Simply replace www.cnn.com with 23.235.44.73 to run a ping test using the IP address.
    Please provide me with the results of both ping tests.

Regards,
Samuel
Golden Frog Support

Samuel,

Apparently after flushing the DNS and using L2TP protocol the VPN is working perfectly. I’ll run a few more tests with different protocols and let you know the result.

Thank you
Best Regards

Samuel,

No sucess!
Below results from Pings/ Tracerouts.

ping -n 25 www.cnn.com
Ping request could not find host www.cnn.com. Please check the name and try agai
n.

ping -n 25 23.235.44.73

Pinging 23.235.44.73 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=330ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=328ms TTL=55
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=333ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=331ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=330ms TTL=55
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=329ms TTL=56
Request timed out.
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=341ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=329ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=339ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=335ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=329ms TTL=55
Request timed out.
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=332ms TTL=56
Reply from 23.235.44.73: bytes=32 time=328ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 23.235.44.73:
Packets: Sent = 25, Received = 23, Lost = 2 (8% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 328ms, Maximum = 341ms, Average = 331ms

As you can see, the url didin´t work, but the ip was ok.

Hope it can help.

Best Regards,

Hello,

Thank you for providing the requested ping tests. Since you are able to ping the IP address but not the website address, this does indicate an issue related to the DNS. At this time, I would like to have you send in the VyprVPN application logs so that we can look further into this issue. To send in the logs, click the Settings icon in the upper right of the VyprVPN app, then Help, and lastly Contact Support. When sending in the logs, please reference this community post thread so that Support can link this thread to your ticket and not have you perform troubleshooting steps that have already been performed, as we will continue troubleshooting with you via your support ticket.

Regards,
Samuel
Golden Frog Support

Hello Samuel,
I occur the same problem. I did exactly you suggest, and had the same experience as Oxidiuos.
I hope you will find as soon as possible an solution.

Greetings Peter (from The Netherlands)

Hello pvhsoft,

We hate to hear that you are also having this connection issue with Windows 10.

Please contact our support team directly and we will be able to assist you further.

You can e-mail us at support@goldenfrog.com or you can e-mail us directly through the application itself.

Regards,
Dustin
Golden Frog Support

I’ve been having the exact same issues since I’ve upgraded to Windows 10 64 bit. (VyprVPN worked fine under Win 8.1 64.) Tried all of these suggestions with no luck. I am already working with GF support separately. Just adding my name to this tread as having the issue.

I’m not finding your account, opruitt. Can you send in a bug report via the VyprVPN app?

If you have performed the steps already covered in this post, try turning off DNS leak protection in the app and try browsing the internet again.

Sorry, I am actually a Giganews client. So the support is through them, my Giganews request number is 131600.

Thank you for that information. We’ll communicate with Giganews and ensure your request is handled promptly

Just a quick update. Still have the same issue and I am now running Win10 64 bit build 10525.

HI, same issue here. Trying to get to servers in Switzerland, however, difficulties to get internet access. Connection seem to work, but then unable to access Internet. Now and then seem to work with L2TP / IPsec. No go with PPTP and OpenVPN. Strange… happened after last Windows 10 update.

Please add me to the list of users having problems with VyprVPN and WIndows 10. Most of the time I cannot get an IP. The application keep reporting “detecting” (and no internet connection). However, as soon as I enter manually a 3rd party DNS (used OpenVPN DNS or Google) then I can get an IP.

Flushing the DNS had no effect.

Is this been logged as a problem?

Hello Nexus 6 & Fax,

Thank you for reporting the following issue!

Our networking team has deployed a fix to our European sites to rectify any ongoing connectivity issues.

At this time you should now be able to use your desired server location under VyprDNS directly.

Please let our support team know if you continue to experience an issue with the server location of your choice.

Regards,
Jordan

Thank you! I can confirm the issue seems resolved now.

Thanks just tried to connect and seems to work now.