VPN Server + VyprVPN Router App

Hello,

How to set up a Tomato to use VyprVPN Router App and OpenVPN Server or PPTP Server to connect my local network from outside?

Regards,
Pawel

BTW when I turn VyprVPN Router App my port forwarding at Tomato is not working properly any more.
Should I make any bridge or something?

Hi @Pawel!

If you are only trying to access your local network from outside, then you don’t necessarily need to setup the router as a VPN server itself. You can achieve that by either:

1. Forwarding the applicable port(s) to the local machine IP(s) and using your ISP-issued IP address to access from the outside.
  2. If the router is connected to VyprVPN using the Router App, make sure NAT firewall is disabled and then local services should be accessible via the VyprVPN IP address from outside the network. You may still need to forward the ports as stated in step 1. I will do some testing and report back to you.

If you are willing to share that information, what services are you trying to reach from outside the network? I ask because I can try to replicate your use-case on my end. (Ex: RDP, VNC, Plex Media Server, etc…)

Thanks!

Nick
Golden Frog Support

Hello Nick, thank you for your replay.

as a new forum user I cannot ad any pictures.

My idea is to make connection form outside to my local network to access data stored at PC, NAS and printer.
I want to use PPTP or OpenVPN to do so.

After VPN (pptp or open vpn) connection from outside I would like to have access to network and I want to also be able to connet internet through VyprVPN at Tomato :smile:

Regards,
Pawel

btw, can you give me a information about firewall setup (some screan shot pls) :smile:

Several other customers have had similar questions about accessing their local network while the VPN is connected, via Router App or otherwise. I would like to direct you to this thread/post: Advanced VPN/NON-VPN Router/OS Configuration

I am not entirely certain if the Router App and the OpenVPN or PPTP Server options in the Tomato firmware will work properly together. What I am hearing is that you would like to setup the router to have a VPN tunnel to access your network from the outside, while your internal network uses VyprVPN to connect to the internet via Router App.

I feel that it may be unnecessary for you to setup a VPN to access the internal network. The post linked above, as well as my previous post, explains that you should be able to access your internal network via your router’s VyprVPN assigned IP from the outside. This avoids creating possible complications with the Router App and Server VPN options in Tomato. Again, I am not sure if there are any complications there. We have not tested that yet. If the goal is to have both the internal and external devices encrypted, you can connect to VyprVPN on the device being used to access the network, instead of relying on a VPN server setup on the router.

We are going to post a more thorough guide on accessing your local network through the Router App in the future. We definitely see a demand for those instructions based on the amount of questions we’ve seen around the topic.

Nick
Golden Frog Support

So I have tried connecting using your guidelines (turning of “NAT Firewall” feature on my VyprVPN account) and using proper port forwarding. btw when VyprVPN connection is in “disconnected” status connection from outside is working properly.

My idea is to have possibility to connect to my home network from outside e.g. (office, or cafe) using computer without VyprVPN app on it and after connection is successful established I can see home network (printers, other computers) and also be able to connect to the internet securely through VyprVPN app from tomato router.