VyperVPN Router App Speed Downgraded

I’m on Cox’s 300mb tier and have no problems getting that speed until I enable VyperVPN which then drops the speed to 20mb. Is this expected and are there plans to upgrade the speed?

@jdouglas

If you’re not experiencing the same speed loss when connecting using one of our desktop or mobile apps on the same network, only experiencing the sharp drop when connecting on the router, then it’s usually indicative of the router’s hardware being a bit of a bottleneck. The VPN connection requires a decent amount of CPU horsepower to work optimally, and depending on what other tasks the router is doing, it may be having trouble efficiently powering the VPN connection.

That said, the R7000 has decent specs, so I would expect it to push more than that, but then again I have not tested it myself. The best suggestion I can offer would be to try different protocols. Namely PPTP and OpenVPN 160-bit, as they are less CPU-intensive and you may see better download speeds. Naturally, using a close proximity, low-ping server location is always advisable for best results, too.

I’ll check the app on my desktop and post my results but I don’t want to switch from using chameleon on the router. that protocol was the reason I bought the router up to begin with. Trying to keep out the prying eyes of Cox Comm. :wink:

ok, so here are my test results. I didn’t change any of the hardware setup, I simply enabled and disabled Vyper accordingly:

Down/Up

Vyper disabled on my router and desktop: 375mb/25mb
Vyper enabled on my router, disabled on my desktop: 20mb/12mb
Vyper disabled on my router, enabled on my desktop: 150mb/15mb

So there is a performance improvement with using the desktop app over the router app.

Looking at the router CPU usage during my speed test with the Vyper router app running, it hits 40% downstream and 25% upstream. Is this typical?

Maybe there are some options to take a look at in the app config to improve the speed?

Hello,

Depending on the quality of hardware in the router and processing capability, you should expect a large hit on speed with any router. Most home routers are not well-equipped to push encrypted traffic at high speeds unlike desktops, laptops, or mobile devices. In my experience, even routers considered to be “gaming” or “performance” routers won’t push more than 20-25 Mbps down.

As Nick mentioned above, there is one suggestion I can make for possibly improving your speeds and that is to use the 160-bit OpenVPN files instead of the 256-bit ones. If security is not that much of a concern for you, you can even try setting up PPTP instead. This will lower the encryption overhead a bit, causing your router’s CPU to do less work, and will usually net some quicker speeds but nothing close to your bare pipe.

Regards,
Wes
Customer Support

I dont want to change the encryption because using chameleon was the point of setting up the router to protect my network. So now I’m looking at returning the R7000 and instead getting the R9000 as it has a 1.7 GHz quad core.

If I do, then vyper shouldn’t have any issues with it, correct?

Hello @jdouglas

To reiterate what I stated before, even routers considered to be “gaming” or “performance” routers like the R9000 won’t push more than 20-25 Mbps down. After researching the R9000 on various tech forums, other users report VPN speeds of no more than 30 Mbps down.

Regards,
Wes
Customer Support

Ughhhh. Then I have to reevaluate using the VPN app.

Is Viper multithreaded? on my desktop app it appears its not which might explain why the bandwidth is still limited on my 12 core system?

Hello.
It is necessary to have comparable test results.
That means, that the TEST Server for doing the speed-test need to be nearly the same distance away from your location than the VPN Server. So the best is to use always Speedtest Servers, located to close to the VPN-Servers location. And doing the Testing with the same Testserver from different devices and with or without VPN as you did. In this ways, the distance for the data which you are going to measure is quite comparable.

home routers are practically not made for VPN encryption even if they are having VPN-Client functionality.
That means, that depending on the processor, RAM-Memory and other hardware details there are big differences by comparing the possible VPN-speed. For example on this site: https://vpn-anbieter-vergleich-test.de/vpn-client-asus-router/ you can see tested speeds with different ASUS routers by using OpenVPN (Sorry the site is in the German language, but I guess the Speed facts are easy to find on it)

Agreed about the test server. I made sure to use the same AT&T test server in Los Angeles which is where I connect to Vyper.

I understand the point about residential routers not being equipped for VPN service but wth that being the case, does that mean the Vyper VPN app isn’t meant for residential routers?

My connection speed is 300mb’s and getting less than 10% of that through Vyper makes it useless to me, which is unfortunate because I was really looking forward to encrypting my network. I’ll have to find another solution. :frowning: