VyprVPN Server + Digital Ocean = throttled speed?

Good job with VyprVPN server. It’s a great idea to allow some flexibility for users, while having advantage of using your nicely developed apps.

I wonder what kind of speeds can one expect from the VyprVPN servers?

I am running VyprVPN Server 0.11.0.179 on Digital Ocean’s 10$ droplet on AMS2. When checking speedtest without VPN running on:
http://speedtest-ams2.digitalocean.com

I am maxing out my ISP’s connection of 70Mbps down / 25Mbps up.
However when connected to VyprVPN server AMS2 using VyprVPN Mac app I am getting speeds of 20Mbps down / 25Mbps up on any protocol (OVPN AES 160-256, Chameleon).

I have searched for users with similar issues and found plenty of threads regarding slow OpenVPN download speeds on Digital Ocean’s droplets. Some users were suggesting that download VPN speeds are throttled by Digital Ocean, some of them on super high speed Fiber networks were able to get 150Mbps UP but only 20Mbps down…

I have obviously contacted both VyprVPN support regarding this, but they have only stated that they do not put any speed caps on VyprVPN server. I have also contacted Digital Ocean, providing them dozens of threads regarding similar issues, but they obviously deny any throttling (I would be surprised if they would admit doing this actually).

For the reference, when I am using VyprVPN servers on my Mac app, I am maxing out my ISP connection.

This makes me thinking if Digital Ocean throttles the speeds?
Is this VyprVPN server issue?
Anyone else have similar experience?

Hi @dxb,

Thanks for participating in the VyprVPN Server beta! I am glad to hear you are enjoying it.

I can certainly understand the frustration with the drop in speeds, but all I can confirm is that we aren’t throttling anything on our end. DigitalOcean runs the network, but we provide the software. There is no throttling mechanism built into our software on any platform.

The fact that you see improved speeds when connecting to our Amsterdam VyprVPN location over the VyprVPN Server in Amsterdam you setup may very well indicate that there is something different about how DigitalOcean is managing your traffic. Although, I cannot confirm that.

In some cases, we are able to reroute customer traffic on our end to alleviate speed issues to our VyprVPN servers (not VyprVPN Server), so perhaps DigitalOcean would be amenable to that? I am unsure, but it may be worth asking. The only other suggestion I would have is to try OpenVPN 160-bit over 256-bit to see if the lowered encryption overhead makes a difference, but you indicated you already did that in your support ticket and it did not show improvement.

I would encourage other DigitalOcean users to chime in with any suggestions they have. Perhaps someone in the community has additional suggestions.

If you do end up continuing to work with DigitalOcean on this and come to a solution, please let me know as I would be interested in knowing what was done to improve your speeds.

Regards,
Nick
Golden Frog Support

Thanks @nick,

You got everything right and I tried everything on my end, including Tunnelblick (same speed). I have even tried to run two VPN instances, one OpenVPN on Mac app and another via iOS app connected to VyprVPN Server. I was able to get on both devices 20Mbps (Mac) and 25Mbps (iOS) download speeds at the same time. It just looks like there is some kind of throttle on download speed for each session.

This is Digital Ocean’s latest response:

"Thank you for your response! I can absolutely assure you that we do not put any limitations or restrictions on the network. OpenVPN specifically has configuration files that can be adjusted to improve the transfer speeds. Here’s a page that can help with the configuration adjustments: http://winaero.com/blog/speed-up-openvpn-and-get-faster-speed-over-its-channel/

Here’s a snippet from the page “OpenVPN is a well-known VPN client for secure remote access or virtual private networking. If you use OpenVPN and experience a slow speed over its channel, you might be getting annoyed. This issue is very common for all OpenVPN users, not just on DigitalOcean. While the general advice you can find on the Internet is to tweak the MTU (Maximum transmission unit) value and/or MSSFIX parameters, here is another trick you should try.”

Obviously their response is not perfect, because they know users have no access to VyprVPN Server OpenVPN server config files, so nothing can be added or tweaked from user’s end.

I hope you introduce easy to implement alternatives to Digital Ocean, like Linode for example, so I will be able to give it a check and compare.

Hello, @dxb,

We currently offer Amazon Web Services and VirtualBox as alternative solutions to DigitalOcean, however, they are not quite as simple to set up as DigitalOcean. You can read more about how to deploy VyprVPN server with these services below:

Amazon Web Services:
https://support.goldenfrog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212263318

Virtual Box:
https://support.goldenfrog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212725787

Also, have you had the opportunity to see if DigitalOcean could potentially reroute your traffic, as Nick suggested? If this is something that they are able do for you, it could potentially resolve the speed issue you are experiencing on your server.

Thank you for your time!

Regards,
Logan
Golden Frog Technical Support

Hi @Logan,

Thanks for your reply. I didn’t ask them to re-route the connection and frankly speaking I doubt the issue is on my side or my connection. I checked this problem from two different countries (inside EU and outside EU), both on 100Mbps lines and the issue persist. So for me it looks this is either VyprVPN server issue which lacks some kind of OpenVPN server optimizations or Digital Ocean’s issue.

I had some time, so I setup OpenVPN on Digital Ocean’s droplet AMS2. I am running VyprVPN Server on another droplet/server in the same location.

Speedtest OpenVPN 256-bit custom install on Digital Ocean AMS2 $5 server + Tunnelblick Mac app:

VyprVPN Server OpenVPN 256-bit Digital Ocean AMS2 $10 server + VyprVPN Mac app (same speed via Tunnelblick):

It clearly shows that this is neither Digital Ocean’s fault, nor mine. There seem to be an issue with VyprVPN Server optimization for OpenVPN speed.

Hey @dxb,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for the trouble you are facing when testing the speeds. There could be a few factors coming into play that can have an affect on the speeds. At this time, I would like to have you try changing the TAP adapter the VyprVPN app uses. This will be a setting within the VyprVPN ‘Advanced’ options. Below is a screenshot to assist you:

Once you have enable VyprVPN to use the ‘OpenVPN TAP Adapter,’ please test your speeds again and let us know the results.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
Wes
Customer Support Level II

Hi @Wes,

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure if you noticed, but I have stated Mac app for my usage. There are no such settings on Mac app. Anyway, as mentioned before, Tunneblick with OVPN files setting from VyprVPN Server provides the same results as VyprVPN Mac app.

I have made direct tests with Tunnelblick for both VyprVPN Server and custom deployed OpenVPN on the same AMS2 server and as you see I am somehow able to get much better speeds with my custom setup than via VyprVPN Server.

My guess is the issue is with VyprVPN Server.