vyprVPNservice.exe constantly running

Has anyone noticed that VyprVPNservice is constantly actively running in the background even when you say you don’t want it to start with windows?
I have windows 8, and this process is taking around 40 mb memory.
Monitoring it in my firewall it seems to endlessly be checking TCPIP configurations and occassionally phones home. Anyone else find this a bit disturbing?

Hi there,

I am running windows 7, and yes I can see the service is constantly running. You can always stop the service, and change the start up type to manual. But this is another step you will have to remember when you want to use your VPN.

Cheers.

Hello @BobbyH,

This is expected behavior by design. If you do not wish for the VyprVPNservice to always be running, you may stop the service, as @silverfrog suggested, when not using VyprVPN. However, if you do this, you will need to remember to start the service before you use VyprVPN or you will experience the “Service cannot be contacted” error message. And if you do not wish for the service to start automatically when you startup your computer, you will need to set the Startup Type for the VyprVPNservice to Manual. Again, you will need to remember to start the service before you use begin using VyprVPN to avoid experiencing the “Service cannot be contacted” error message.

Regards,
Samuel

Yes thanks, I’ve stopped the process. I’m just a bit concerned as to 1) what it’s actually doing and 2) why it has to do it in the background constantly rather than waiting until I start the VPN. I’m also surprised why no-one else seems concerned about this type of behaviour. I’ve tested 5 VPNs recently and none of them have a background process constantly running.

Trying to get support to answer my questions about this process is like trying to get blood from a stone. I wonder if they actually know themselves what their own software is doing. If they do, they won’t tell me. Which is kind of wrong seeing as how I’m a paying user. Are there any developers out there reading the forums? I just want to know

1. WHAT IS THIS MYSTERIOUS PROCESS DOING??
  2. WHY DOES IT DO IT CONSTANTLY IN THE BACKGROUND WHEN I HAVE NOT ASKED IT TO START WITH WINDOWS?
    Please please please please - just answer my questions.

Hello @BobbyH,

I can provide further insight into the features of the Windows VyprVPN application that utilize the VyprVPN Service.

• The Kill Switch feature, which terminates network activity in the case that the VPN is not connected
  • The “Connect on unknown wi-fi” feature, which, with the feature enabled, will check for changes in Wi-fi so that the VPN will know to connect on unknown Wi-fi
  • The “Run on Windows start-up” and “Connect on Windows start-up” features
  • Checking for application updates, which occurs once every 24 hours
  • The “Automatically send us non-personally identifable app data” feature, which helps improve application stability in future releases, and is only relative to the use of the application itself
  • The application will check (phone home) for a connection regularly to correct any app state issues.
  • Additionally, having the VyprVPN Service run in the background makes loading the application considerably faster

Hopefully this answers any concerns about the VyprVPN service running in the background. If you do not wish to utilize these features, you can disable the service from starting as previously mentioned in this thread.

Thank you!
Keegan

Thank you so much Keegan!! I’ll drop a copy of your reply to the support team so that they can provide answers to the next person who asks the same question instead of giving the impression that they don’t know their own product.
Cheers

@keegan

Thanks for the update! I had also noticed this behavior and figured that something like the reasons you enumerated were the cause of it.

Suggestion:
This is especially important on potentially memory-starved systems where the user may wish to use VyprVPN, but cannot afford to have it running full-time, or on the Android version where memory and processor cycles are very likely to be at a premium:

• Create separate option items for "Start Application and start Service on startup, where “Start Application on startup” would automatically enable service start too.
  • Add the behavior that, if both “Start application” and “Start service” at startup are not selected, when the application quits that all subordinate processes are killed as well.
  • Alternately, there could be an option " ‘Quit’ also kills background services" that would be enabled if neither of the previous options are selected. (i.e. This option would be greyed-out if either of the two prior options get selected.)
  • Add the behavior that, if the service is not running at application startup, that the service gets started silently. (This would also solve the “Cannot Contact Service” issues everyone is reporting!) An exception (error) would only get thrown if the service could not be started within a reasonable amount of time, or after “X” number of attempts.

The justifications for these actions are thus:

• If the user does not want the app to run at startup, he probably has a good reason for not wanting it to run at all. (i.e. He’s on a trusted network, etc.) Forcing the user to specifically hunt-down and kill the service, if not selected at startup, is just pissy and annoying.
  • If the user wants the service to run at startup, it can be selected. It can even be selected as the default setting during installation.
  • In memory starved environments, or operating systems that are just pigs, (make that read “Windows 8”), leaving the service running can impact system performance.
  • Android systems, especially on phones, are often memory and processor cycle starved. Leaving potentially unnecessary services running can have a seriously negative impact on performance, causing the user to ultimately un-install the app to avoid the performance crunch.

Thanks again for an excellent application, and I hope that these suggestions will receive expedited consideration.

Jim (JR)

@jharris1993

We appreciate your taking the time to send us feedback and suggestions. We actually have a page devoted to such suggestions here:

http://ideas.goldenfrog.com/forums/171209-golden-frog-ideas

I highly recommend posting your idea there, as this is where we are able to gauge interest in new functionality. Thanks again!

@carlosz
@keegan

I have done as you suggest at:

Unfortunately, since it is still awaiting “moderator approval” (Surely, I have proved that I am not an idiot by now, 'eh?), I can neither edit, nor comment.

Allow me to add the following additional justification for making the service selectable, since I just ran into this issue right now:

• What if the user needs to use a different vpn client for some purpose?

I have clients, (as in “how I make the money to pay for these services!” :grinning: ), that due to the sensitive nature of their on-site data, I access through a secure VPN tunnel. Client on my machine, VPN server on the remote network.

Running one VPN service while a second is running can, (and has), either severely degraded the performance of the active VPN, and/or has caused undesired behavior/crashes on either or both VPN’s.

Even if the two VPN clients/services play together exceptionally well in the sandbox, I am just not happy with the thought of running one service of one type on top of a completely different service of the exact same type, at the same time, doing the same thing, in the same way, on the same machine, (etc.)

Ergo I chase down the VyprVPN service and close it prior to connecting to the client’s network through their VPN.

What say ye?

Jim

Hey @jharris1993,

Definitely! I approved your idea on the Golden Frog Ideas page so you will now be able to comment and edit, which I encourage as well.

It’s interesting to hear that you see performance issues with running another VPN client with the VyprVPN client service. Perhaps both services are trying to utilize the same Windows background RAS associated services and causing performance issues. I can try to get more information on this possibility and update this post.

Just to be certain- you are only connecting one VPN, but running two different VPN clients? If you don’t object to sharing, I’m curious as to which other VPN client you are using.

Thanks,
Keegan

@keegan

I will update my reasons on the “Idea” post, but I think continuing the discussion here has merit. Or would you rather migrate the entire thread there?

I have also used Cisco VPN portal clients, such as QuickVPN, or various “generic” Cisco VPN software packages. I have also installed and used the VPN offered by The Green Bow - a French firm - as I have had clients in the past that needed me to use/test that client.

Re: Performance hits
I want to make sure we’re using the same terminology:

• Performance hit: A situation where the computer’s performance is degraded beyond what would normally be expected, sometimes significantly.

• Stability issue: (May also be accompanied by a “Performance hit”) A situation where the continued safe and stable operation of the software, or even the operating system itself, is significantly impaired.

Any time you have more than one encapsulating protocol running at a time, you’re going to get a “performance hit”. (i.e. Running Giganews using multiple SSL connections through VyprVPN can cost up to 20% of your “open line” network speed.)

I strongly suspect that running an encrypted connection through another encrypted connection is the cause of it, and it seems to be more pronounced on slower-speed connections (ADSL) as opposed to faster connections (DOCSIS-3 over Cable TV).

I have experienced situations where running QuickVPN (Or other clients like The Green Bow), with the VyprVPN service running in the background has caused:

• Significantly degraded performance, as in “orders of magnitude”.
  • Unstable connections, where the established VPN would randomly die.
  • System crashes. Some were “hard” crashes that stopped Windows 7 at a BSOD, others were “soft” crashes where Windows rebooted and displayed the “Oh S&^*t!! We just had a major failure, dude!” dialog on restart.

Note:
These were experienced on older versions of VyprVPN, and what may have been “cruftier” installs of Win 7. (“Cruftier” being defined as “After I have beaten the stuffings out of it for a year or so, installing, uninstalling, re-installing, re-un-installing stuff that I test for a living.”)

The systems may have used older versions, or cruftier installs, but it only takes one or two major system crashes to scare me away forever! :fearful:

Because of these experiences, my general skittishness about running more than one at a time, (and my implicit faith of the engineering genius at Microsoft! :sheep: :shit: ), I generally like to have only ONE VPN process running at a time.

Jim (JR)

Just wanted to say this is still an issue, and I’ll be uninstalling vyprVPN because this service has made my system unstable at times since upgrading to win10. i actually had created my own scripts for starting up and shutting down the service, but its a hassle with win10’s funky app list. it also randomly can take up to 20% of the cpu for a fair bit of time (at least 30+ mins).

Not sure why the client doesnt start and stop the service itself. seems a bit odd.

Anyway, I felt since I’ve used the service for so long that I should give my 2 cents before unsubscribing. Thanks for the great vpn service over the years. I’ll keep my eye on the suggestion link, maybe there will be traction and i’ll resubscribe.

Yeah I have noticed this myself on Windows 10. The VyprVPNService has constant 2%-4% sustained CPU usage when not even in use. That is unacceptable to me.

4% - 5% consistently at rest. Anyone have an answer for this?

Hello,

The CPU usage you are seeing is normal, and is dependent on your CPU itself. You can always stop the service if you do not need it, but you will need to remember to restart it again when you want to use the VyprVPN app.

On my laptop it is constantly using about 8% of my CPU.
I did some research and found vyprvpn is visiting the registry in a high frequency. I don’t know the intention of this behavior.
I don’t like this behavior and I am considering to remove vyprvpn if it will not be fixed.
Moreover, this behavior is not observed from other vpn applications.